Tuesday, November 16, 2004

A look back -- Post Election, Final

OK, so I had some illusions of grandure on this whole election process. Through the whole election and just after I though that if I voiced a few things, it would change the way people though... Over the past week, I realized that is just not what I am about. I am more of live and let live kind of guy. I cherrish other peoples thoughts and opinions, and I believe in free speech.

By the way, I voted for Kerry (like you couldn't have guessed).

And my final election issue, Where I live we had a local tax levy to give more funding to the schools. It failed, for the 7th straight time. Now our local school district will be placed in a fiscal state of emergency. The state will come in, fix what it feels needs to be fixed, turn control back over to the school board, then require repayment of what it spent. So, in the years to come, we will get control of the school back, with higher expenses, which will require a tax levy to pay for, and we will have to pay back the state. In my opinion it would have just been better to pay for it now, and keep control.

My wife and I are wanting to buy a house. We are sure that it won't be in the city we currently live in. Although we don't have children, and aren't that concerned with the quality of the school, it does affect the property values. Currently prices are really low, which makes it attractive. But who wants to live there? The town will have a hard time attracting families because of the school system.

I know that I'm ranting now, but what I'm trying to get to is a problem in the Cleveland metro area. The general feel is that "It's not my problem, let the state change the way it funds education" The state needs to give us more. Granted, Cleveland is rated as the poorest city in the U.S. If taxes are raised, it won't effect that many people, since they are mostly not paying taxes anyway. Just give me more. It's almost as if this city wears it's problems on it's sleve like a badge of honor.

Now, you would thing that with who I voted for is contradictory to my thoughts about Cleveland. I don't think the problem with Cleveland is with the politicians in D.C. or even the state capital. I do think it is with, to some extent, the politicians in the City level, and more so with the general attitude of the public. In the City goverment there are a lot of good people there, doing good work. But there are also way to many corrupt, well, politicans.

I'm sorry, as I look back on this post, even I have a hard time following it. But that is the way that I am. I just think aloud most of the time. And I'm going to leave it as is.

1 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, Blogger Carrie L. said...

Hello? Anyone there???

 

Post a Comment

<< Home